Monday, March 8, 2010

Sneak Preview: 1/33rd of 33 Ideas

If I didn't know better, I'd think I was getting ready to shift house or something. There are piles of stuff all over the studio: supplies for this weekend's workshop at the Monte Vista Crane Festival, a box of matted small prints for a jury in Creede, another box for a piece that's bound for an exhibition in Indiana, paintings and sketches for an interpretive panel project, concept sketches for a game board for a kids' newsletter, those same printed yellow squares that have been stacked for a week....

... and boxes holding the contents of my display for the Colorado Art Ranch 33 Ideas show at Denver International Airport, which I will install on Wednesday. (The show isn't listed on the DIA art program site yet, but since it opens March 15 I hope it will show up there eventually.)

For a while there I wasn't sure it would ever come together, but it looks as if I'll manage it despite myself and other obstructions. I think it's going to be a great show, and I'm really excited to see the magic that happens once everyone's work is in place. Tonight I did a little "dry run" of the materials I intend to put in my display case. And just for Brush and Baren readers, a sneak preview of sorts.....

Late last year Colorado Art Ranch invited the artists, writers, scientists, and thinkers who have been involved in Art Ranch programs to submit proposals for exhibits that reflected the vision and mission of the organization. The result is 33 Ideas, thirty-three unique responses to the belief that creative interdisciplinary thinking can (and should) be cultivated, valued, and used to solve land and social issues. My idea among the thirty-three? Illustrated journals as witness and testament. I'll take some photos when the whole thing is together and write more about my idea later, but for now here's a little look at what's in this particular studio pile.


My drawing table is just a few inches short of the width of my assigned display case, so out came journals and paintboxes and other materials to be arranged in a little vignette. Hanging above and behind this idyllic scene will be a large panel (36 x 42 inches!) that looks remarkably like this:


Nifty, eh? I hope it looks in "real life" the way I imagine it in my mind! (Or maybe even better, wouldn't that be lovely?) The panel is being fabricated as I type, I have to pick it up in Denver on my way to the installation. I've been assured that it looks good.... (more nail biting)... let's hope so!

What's also exciting is that David's CD, Residue, will be playing in the exhibition area throughout the three month run of the show!

So.... if you're at DIA between March 15 and June 15, take a little time to wander over the bridge from the main terminal to Concourse A. I might even offer to pick someone up at the airport, even if it IS 3 hours from here, just to be sure I don't miss anything.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it (and to hear David's Residue playing, alternating with our prairie sounds CD)! But we'll miss you on the install, as we're doing ours on Thursday. ;~( Still, we'll get to see your case as we work. We're picking up our panel at the printers on Weds pm, after we sort some stuff out for my folks at their new apartment. Then on to the printers, a night at Fisher House, an oncology appt at the VA for Richard in the morning, and then off to the airport to pull together our "Terraphilia" case. Congrats on all of the other work you've got going too. Looks like a good year ahead....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You, your DM, Susan, Richard just to name a few all in the show together. How I wish I could see it - will have to settle for some pics. I'll play Residue while I look at the pics. :-D I'll look for pics. of Susan's on her blog too.

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You, your DM, Susan, Richard just to name a few all in the show together. How I wish I could see it - will have to settle for some pics. I'll play Residue while I look at the pics. :-D I'll look for pics. of Susan's on her blog too.

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...