Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pine branches linocut progress

Alrighty, then...  I'm feeling fairly satisfied with progress so far on this new linocut, although as usual I'm changing plans in mid-stream. I originally intended to keep this simple, just 4 color passes, but now I'm considering a fifth, just for a little more oomph. I can't imagine there's a single soul out there who's surprised.


However... I think I'm going to digress here for a little bit because I like the carving on this green pass enough to pull a few as just black and white prints. Or maybe brown on tan. Not sure yet. But something. I have to do it at this stage, since it's a reduction print and there's no going back after I move on with the carving.

5 comments:

  1. I can't get over the detail you are able to carve.
    What about black on tan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are gorgeous tones. I think the design will look good in any color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine there's a single soul out there who's surprised.

    Certainly not here!

    (And word verification is nompreal, which is so close to nonpareil that I can't believe it's a coincidence.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nope, not surprised at all lol ;)

    black and white prints would look very striking :) the blue gradient on this print works really well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the carving of the needles & branches - beautiful negative spaces. Yes, I think a monochromatic print of just that will be very effective. Please post that too!!

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...