Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Two linocuts, 19 colors, eleven days

Oh, don't act so surprised. You KNEW I wouldn't drop this bone until I'd gnawed it to pieces. Sunday's maniacal start became Monday's maniacal finish, and then this morning I decided this aspen linocut really needed one more color (for a total of ten). But since I now have to spend the rest of the week focused on contract projects, I think I'll drag out the image development drama for a few days.

Just because I can.

Color 5

Color 6
Four more to go from here.

This is one of those images in which the mood changed dramatically with each new color application. After color #4 there was a nice, moody, light that I quite liked. Less so when the yellow went on, and once this green was down everything became mid-day sunny. It was a little disconcerting, but I think you'll like what happens next.

Yeah, you're right. It's like watching a movie with someone who's already seen it and keeps saying, "Oh, this is my favorite part," or, "Geez, don't look... this is gonna be gross." Really annoying.

So don't listen to me. Stick your fingers in your ears and enjoy your popcorn. Wait. That won't work. Um. Whatever. Just watch the show.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yeah- there really was a mood change with the yellow and green! But I'm a big fan of mid-summer, so I'm enjoying it. Your aspen trunks are so well done! Can't wait to see the next colors.

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...