Thursday, February 6, 2014

Linocut in Progress: Emerging from the fog

I just realized that the title of this post could be applied both to this linocut-in-progress and to life in general right now. In either case, I think it's a good thing.

After the printing of the first "rock weed ochre" layer I wanted to add some depth and texture to keep it from appearing as a flat shape. Enter all the "noodly" carving of the previous post.

Cormorant linocut: Step 6
A second ochre layer definitely brought some subtle texture and interest into the scene. And now for a little drama.

Cormorant linocut: Step 7
It took a surprising amount of time to hit this color just right. Most of it will be covered up by two more gray layers, and I struggled to find a rusty color that wasn't too orange when it went down over the ochre layers. It seems a little dark here, but some of that is a function of the photo. I hope the rest will resolve with the next colors.

So now it's back to "noodly" carving and then a gray that will hopefully tie everything back together again. I'd like to print tomorrow, but if this doesn't dry enough overnight it will have to wait until Sunday. In the meantime I'm going to mount up another large-ish (12 x 18 inches) block like this one and start drawing up another print! Deadlines are looming!

2 comments:

  1. Shery,
    These look so good...great color choices looking almost finished as they are. A different look or palette, lovely, muted and moody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I really enjoy watching the progress of your prints. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...